Codex Nutrition adopts key food provisions
The 39th Session of the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) agreed this week to forward for adoption by the Codex Alimentarius Commission, the highest decision-making body in Codex, the follow-up formula essential composition provisions.
As the CCNFSDU agenda continues to expand with the inclusion of priority issues for food and food supplements, several electronic working groups (eWG) have been established to issue recommendations for consideration at the next CCNFSDU Session in 2018.
The issues that require further consideration throughout the next year and decision at the next CCNFSDU Session include:
– The labelling and other sections of the proposed draft revised Standard for Follow-Up Formula.
– Guidelines for Ready-to-Use Therapeutic Foods.
– Definition for Biofortification.
– Nutrient Reference Values (NRV) for Essential Nutrients for Older Infants and Young Children.
– NRV associated with diet related Non-Communicable Diseases (NRV-NCD) for EPA and DHA long chain Omega 3 fatty acids.
– Proposal to develop Guidelines on the Use of Probiotics in Food and Food Supplements.
– Setting conditions for use of a claim for “free” of Trans Fatty Acids in foods.
– Proposal to develop Guidelines on Nutrient Profiles for specific application to Front of Pack Labelling.